...that this is a big project. A REALLY BIG project. Perhaps we were crazy to take it on or didn't really realize what we were getting into but here we are. Todays project is refinishing the bath tub, cause I am simply to cheap to buy a new one. My goal is to revamp the guest bath for $500 or less; so a new bathtub simply isn't in the budget. Enter Rust-Oleum Tub and Tile Refinishing System for a whopping $23 from Menards. (BTW Walmart charges $39 dollars for the same kit...) I scrubbed the tub last week to find it stained and the finish pealing off. So as per the directions we scrubbed it with an abrasive cleaner, a lime cleaner, took out all the metal pieces (drain) and then scoured the surface with sanding attachment to the drill. After all this is still wasn't smooth. so I got out the sander. Still not smooth. So I asked Dad for help. He suggested paint stripper. Where was his suggestion a week ago when I was on my knees sanding the bathtub for hours! Anyway, stripper work like a charm and the old finish fell right off. It was amazing. The we scoured the surface, patched the dent and read the directions on the box of tub refinisher. We decided that since the house is basically a construction zone (aka dusty disaster) we would vacuum the whole house and Dad would come back and paint on the epoxy acrylic coating in the morning so all the left over dust could settle. Looks like a brand new tub! Here is all that in pictures:
Original Tub:
Taking out the drain:
Weapons against the ugly tub:
Yours truly hand scraping the caulk off the tub:
Paint Stripper:
We later realized those black spots are patched bullet holes...
Tub ready for the epoxy:
And there you have it a bright white tub!
No comments:
Post a Comment